Homeowners, was your home built before 1980? Do you still have single pane windows? Is your insulation below today’s standards? Are your exterior doors made of wood?
If you answered YES to these questions the Co-op has a NEW program just for you. Meter Miser presents, The Energy Efficiency Zero Interest Loan Program.
The Meter Miser Energy Efficiency Loan program was started to help upgrade older homes that need to be brought up to a better state of efficiency and will loan you up to $20,000 at zero interest to make these types of improvements.
- Increase attic insulation to at least R-38
- Replace single pane windows with dual pane with a U-value of at least .58
- Replace old wood exterior doors with insulated Steel or Fiberglass doors
- Plug up all exterior penetrations to help keep outside air out.
- Help pay for an exterior siding upgrade that adds at least an R-5 insulation
And if the heating and cooling system is eligible for Social Security?
When you invest in $2,000 of improvements to the physical structure you can also upgrade your heating and cooling (evaporative coolers not included) to a more efficient model in the same 0% loan.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to use a Contractor? Yes, to qualify for the zero interest loan the work has to be completed by an AZ licensed contractor who will stand behind his work.
- Do I have to own my home? Yes, the loan is secured by a lien on the property so you have to be the owner to take out the loan.
- I have rental property that fits this description, can I participate? YES, if the property is a single family home. Multi-family homes would use the Commercial and Industrial improvement program.
- Can you recommend a Contractor for me to use? NO, we are not allowed to make recommendations of contractors. We do recommend you get at least 3 bids for the project.
- How do I get started? Go to the quick link on this page for the application or call our office, and talk to our Meter Miser assistant.
- Can I use this money to put Stucco or vinyl siding on my home? YES, as long as there is a layer of R-5 insulation under the Stucco or Siding it qualifies (subject to the loan maximum).
- I have a Manufactured Home, Do I qualify for the program? Only if the home is on a VA type foundation on your own land.
- Are there any other program restrictions? YES, because this is a new program the funds are limited to $215,000 of loans per year.
- How much money can I borrow? Loans are limited between $2,000 and $20,000 per home. Loan of $10,000 or less are for 36 months and loans of $10,001 to $20,000 is up to 72 months.