- Homeowners, was your home built before 1980?
- Do you still have single pane windows?
- Is your insulation below today’s standards?
- Are your exterior doors made of wood and anything smaller than a cat can come inside even with the door closed?
If you answered YES to these questions the Co-op has a program just for you, The Energy Efficiency Zero Interest Loan Program.
The Energy Efficiency Loan program was started to help co-op members upgrade older homes that need to be brought up to a better state of efficiency and will loan you up to $20,000 at zero interest to make these types of improvements.
- Increase attic insulation to at least R-38
- Replace single pane windows with dual pane with a U-value of at least .58
- Replace old wood exterior doors with insulated Steel or Fiberglass doors
- Plug up all exterior penetrations to help keep outside air out.
- Help pay for an exterior siding upgrade that adds at least an R-5 insulation
- And if the heating and cooling system is eligible for Social Security?
When you invest in $2,000 of improvements to the physical structure you can also upgrade your heating and cooling (evaporative coolers not included) to a more efficient model in the same 0% loan. Upgrading to a High SEER Heat Pump and you can qualify for a Rebate from SSVEC.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to use a Contractor? Yes, to qualify for the zero interest loan the work has to be completed by an AZ licensed contractor who will stand behind his work.
- Do I have to own my home? Yes, the loan is secured by a lien on the property so you have to be the owner to take out the loan.
- I have rental property that fits this description, can I participate? YES, if the property is a single family home. Multi-family homes would use the Commercial and Industrial improvement program.
- Can you recommend a Contractor for me to use? NO, we are not allowed to make recommendations of contractors. We do recommend you get at least 3 bids for the project.
- How do I get started? Go to the quick link on this page for the application or call our office, and talk to our Meter Miser assistant.
- Can I use this money to put Stucco or vinyl siding on my home? YES, as long as there is a layer of R-5 insulation under the Stucco or Siding it qualifies (subject to the loan maximum).
- I have a Manufactured Home, Do I qualify for the program? Only if the home is on a VA type foundation on your own land.
- Are there any other program restrictions? YES, because this is a new program the funds are limited to $215,000 of loans per year.
- How much money can I borrow? Loans are limited between $2,000 and $20,000 per home. Loan of $10,000 or less are for 36 months and loans of $10,001 to $20,000 is up to 72 months.